Skip to Main Content
768_432-1116_628-768_432

Our community

 

The Gardens at St. Elizabeth is located in historic north Denver, near downtown and the Highlands neighborhood. The Gardens' unique retirement community lifestyle encourages the bond of faith through a variety of spiritual, social and cultural opportunities. Families and residents find peace of mind knowing that a comprehensive array of retirement community services is available on-site.

1995 
Christ the King Chapel Centennial.
The Sisters of Charity Healthcare Systems assumed control of The Gardens at St. Elizabeth, along with several other facilities in Colorado.  

1996
Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) was formed.  CHI was originally formed from the Franciscan Healthcare and Sisters of Charity Healthcare Systems coming together.

1997
CHI and Adventist Healthcare Systems formed a joint venture since both had similar values.  They called the new venture Centura, reflecting the 100 years (Century) of health ministries of both CHI (Sisters of Charity/Franciscans) and Adventist Healthcare.  In 1997, Centura Health took over management of The Gardens at St. Elizabeth.

2016
The Gardens at St. Elizabeth transitioned to CHI Living Communities, a subsidiary of CommonSpirit Health.

The Gardens at St. Elizabeth offers the following options:


Call today to schedule a tour! 303.964.2000.

The Gardens at St. Elizabeth is a member organization of CHI Living Communities, a subsidiary of CommonSpirit Health. CHI Living Communities provides comprehensive care in a variety of living options, including independent and assisted living, skilled nursing, memory care and rehabilitation services.

Mission, vision & values

img

Mission

As CommonSpirit Health, we make the healing presence of God known in our world by improving the health of the people we serve, especially those who are vulnerable, while we advance social justice for all.

Vision

A healthier future for all - inspired by faith, driven by innovation, and powered by our humanity.

Values

Compassion

  • Care with listening, empathy and love.
  • Accompany and comfort those in need of healing.

 

Inclusion

  • Celebrate each person’s gifts and voice.
  • Respect the dignity of all.

 

Integrity

  • Inspire trust through honesty.
  • Demonstrate courage in the face of inequity.

 

Excellence

  • Serve with fullest passion, creativity and stewardship.
  • Exceed expectations of others and ourselves.

 

Collaboration

  • Commit to the power of working together.
  • Build and nurture meaningful relationships.

Our staff


img

Executive Director

img

Executive Director


img

Director of Mission Integration/Chaplain

img

Director of Mission Integration/Chaplain


img

Dining Services Director

img

Dining Services Director


img

Director of Marketing

img

Director of Marketing


jordan

Human Resources Director

jordan

Human Resources Director


jessica-h

Business Office Manager

jessica-h

Business Office Manager


img

Activities Coordinator

img

Activities Coordinator


jess-p

Wellness Coordinator

jess-p

Wellness Coordinator


img

Housekeeping Manager

img

Housekeeping Manager


img

Maintenance Director

img

Maintenance Director

The history of The Gardens at St. Elizabeth

The Gardens at St. Elizabeth’s historic chapel is the centerpiece of this community offering daily Mass and Rosary. The Chapel is also open to residents who want to spend time in its peaceful solitude. When visiting our community, please stop by the chapel. Then you’ll understand why we say, “Our chapel is filled with 100 years of prayers.” 

1894 
What is now The Gardens at St. Elizabeth was originally constructed as the Oakes Home, a tuberculosis sanatorium. It was built by the Reverend Frederick Oakes, an Episcopalian Minister. 

1897 
Christ the King Chapel (originally named Chapel of Our Merciful Savior) was built in the Colonial Revival style. 

1934 
The TB sanatorium was closed. Attempts were made to treat those suffering from other illnesses. The project failed, and the building was again closed in 1941. 

1943 
The Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration purchased the Oakes Home property from the Episcopalian Diocese of Colorado. It was used as the Motherhouse for the Sisters and was named St. Joseph Convent. 

1954
The Sisters moved their Motherhouse to the site of the Modern Woodmen of America Sanatorium in Colorado Springs. The Sisters then moved the residents from Mount Elizabeth Retreat in Morrison, Colorado - a home for the aged, which the Sisters operated - to the vacated Motherhouse and named it St. Elizabeth’s Retreat. 

Chapel

1974 
Groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new three-story building to be erected on the site east of the Chapel. 

1975 
Residents were moved from St. Elizabeth’s Retreat (the old Oakes Home) to the new structure, consisting of 198 units, which was named St. Elizabeth Center. The Oakes Home was then demolished, but the Chapel was preserved. 

1975 
The Chapel, called Christ the King Chapel, was named a historic landmark of the City of Denver by Historic Denver, Inc. 

1987 
On March 26, groundbreaking ceremonies took place for the erection of a 14-story building with 144 apartments west of the Chapel. 

1988 
In August, the new structure was opened for occupancy and dedicated on September 11. The name was changed to The Gardens at St. Elizabeth. 

1997 
Christ the King Centennial. 

2016
The Gardens at St. Elizabeth transitioned to CHI Living Communities, a subsidiary of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI).

2019
Renovation of Independent Living Tower Building started.

Inside of chapel
img